'ScapeGoat

Life is so interesting....

I continue to have these interesting cosmic side-trips lately (more so than usual). And, I continue to ponder and contemplate the past several weeks--the good, the bad and the ugly.

Today, I started out with hearing the song "What I Did For Love" from "A Chorus Line" and the song suddenly had a deeper, more real meaning for me. My visceral reaction triggered an oxyoronic physical response of feeling as if the tears were coming; and yet another part of me not exactly resisting them but moving away from them. Different.

Later today, I had the privilege of serving as a minister in an Animal Kinship capacity--to be of support for a friend whose cat was very ill and needed to be put down.Serving the animals with pastoral care was what sent me back to ministerial school back in 1994. It was a tender thing that this was a reminder of that calling. It is such a blessing to be there for the animal and their caregiver at such a delicate time. Our animal companions are so amazing and so selfless in their service to us.

Got home late tonight and was checking quick e-mails and my Daily Word popped into my mailbox for tomorrow. I decided I would read it in advance of the morrow and use it as a closer for today. Here is the Unity prayer:


Today's Daily Word - Friday, September 22, 2006
Free
Living in the present moment, I give expression to my divine nature.
There is a ritual of atonement told in the Old Testament in which the collective mistakes of the people were symbolically placed on a goat. Then the goat was set free in the wilderness. Tradition held that, free of errors, the people would then move forward with a clean slate.
Like the people described in the story, I may have something in the past that seems to be holding me back. Now is the time to be free of it, and I can be by turning to God in prayer. I relax into the presence of God and know that the past has no hold over me. Releasing all feelings of resentment and regret, I am living in the present moment with a clean slate on which I write affirmations of my freedom. I am free to express my divine nature, and I do.
"The goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to a barren region; and the goat shall be set free in the wilderness."--Leviticus 16:22

The AHA Moment.
Now I understood how the term 'scapegoat' came about. Of course, I understood it's meaning before, but didn't know it's history. And I have certainly had my share of feeling and/or being the scapegoat since coming to San Diego. Some of that experience was valid and real; and some of it was my pandering in the drama of circumstances. No matter what the situation, this Biblical understanding now confirms to me the necessity and viability of my no longer being at Pacific Church. Being a scapegoat isn't necessarily a bad or a negative thing--it can even be positive. Now that I have been set free in the wilderness (not a bad thing for a wild woman) Pacific Church and I can be free of errors (anyone's errors) and move forward with a clean slate.


Now that is really animal kinship at it's finest.

RDD

Comments

Anonymous said…
I READ TODAY'S DAILY WORDS ALSO AND FOUND THE GOAT INFORMATION VERY INTERESTING AND THE WHOLE READING VERY USEFUL.
I WOULD OVE TO HAVE THE WHOLE PAGE READ FROM THE PULPIT. IT'S GREAT MATERIAL FOR A TALK ON RELEASING AND MOVING FORWARD.
IF ONLY WE COULD HAVE A GOAT AVAILABLE TO US....LARRY
Anonymous said…
At this time of Yom Kippur, many are reflecting on their lives. When I think of your ministry, I think of the love and joy you brought to Pacific Church and many others in the community at large. I see you moving forward to minister to so many others, sharing your talents.

Popular posts from this blog

"Ruby-throated sparrow ..."

Calling All Angels

Electionitis - 2016