My Sunday Confession

Although I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I feel that it is time that I make a personal confession.

I have a secret passion:  I love to take a Sunday nap while listening to a MLB game on television.  Don't get me wrong, I love to watch baseball.  However, there is something so sweet about starting to watch a game and allowing myself to drift into a soft slumber.  And it gets even sweeter when I have the luxury of a lullaby by the euphonious voice of Vin Scully.

My formative baseball years were while growing up in Los Angeles and listening to the master announcer, Vin Scully call a game.  After Sandy Koufax retired, I found myself becoming a devout Big Red Machine fan in the 70's, I would still listen to Vin.  I fondly recall many a game when it was Reds vs. the Dodgers and I felt like I was having double my pleasure, double my fun.

With our recent subscription to DirectTV, we have the opportunity to watch many of the MLB games and not just the one on the network television schedule.  We get to watch all our favorite teams. (Don is an rabid Tigers fan).  My allegiance is more eclectic these days.  I still have great fondness for the Reds;  add in my former geographic allegiance to the Dodgers; I lived in San Diego enough years to become a Padres fan; now I live nearer to the the eternal Southern California nemesis, World Series Champion SF Giants; and I was born in Chicago so you can count on my rooting for the Cubbies.  I still favor the National League even though Girffey, Jr. played for the Mariners for many years.

Tonight, I am watching the Reds at Dodger stadium. I enjoy watching Dusty Baker (former Dodger) manage the Reds.  Brandon Phillips reminds me of the Girffey/Foster/Morgan countenance and swing of the Big Red machine.  Reluctant to admit that I am pretty much unfamiliar with the Dodger players with the exception of Tony Gwynn, Jr. for obvious San Diego history; and Matt Kemp because his name reminds me of my beloved 'brother' Matt Kaump.

Happy to report, that for this game, I am once again listening to the dulcet tones of Vin.  Ahhhhhhhhh. But I am not napping tonight.  It tickles me that many of the other teams have two announcers to do what Vin does all by his lil' ol' self--and he does it better.

As I type, the score is tied right now in the sixth inning. I don't really care which team wins because I'm happy just listening Vin call it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Ruby-throated sparrow ..."

Sweet Sixteen -September 22, 2016

Calling All Angels