B.A.

In this case, I am not referring to a Bachelor of Arts --which I would love to claim --I am instead wondering how to claim a different B.A. --a group I could/should attend for help with my addiction. B.A. ---Books Anonymous.

I confess --I am a word nerd which ultimately led to my becoming a bibliophile. It is no longer anonymous nor a secret to those that know me that I am a Bibliopolic   I can admit to being addicted to buying, owning and devouring books.

The definition of addiction according to Dictionary.com:


noun : the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma



By that definition alone, it confirms that I am addicted to books. My recent relocation from California to New Mexico has brought this to the forefront for me.  Trying to pack all my books for transport; trying to unpack the boxes; and now, trying to find space for all the books has become quite a physical--and emotional-- challenge. In addition to not having as much space to allow for all my books, there is a part of me that knows I don't need all these books--especially now that so much information can be easily accessed online.  

Gratefully, my addiction is not life-threatening in the scheme of things--but it is not without it's challenges or trauma---such as now having to part with my friends...er, books so that I can create order and balance in our home.




Even my cat, Beauregard seems a bit perplexed as to what to do with so many books.

And... well, these photos don't show all of my books. There are a few more boxes off-camera and several more unpacked boxes at my office at work.

What's a girl to do? I love books. Always have and always will.  Books were really the primary friends I had as an only-child growing up.  I don't mean to make that sound pitiful.  It was my choice to stay inside and read instead of go outdoors and play like most kids.  If it weren't for books and show tunes, I don't know how I would have survived.

As a little girl, I used to have all my books catalogued and I would give out personal library cards to friends or family who wanted to borrow my books. I loved dating and stamping their cards and handing over to them one of my precious books in hopes they would enjoy it as much as I had. I tried to emulate The Library in how I set things up even down to charging a penny fine if they were late. For the record, I did away with that punitive process because I learned that people were less likely to visit my library.

To my credit, I did release two boxes of books prior to the move.  Weeks later, now that I am in our new home, I am in the sorting process to determine what I can donate and what I can keep. As I said, this is not the type of addiction that is the genesis of research funding and organizations to bring about better living.  Yet, I am hoping that my 'plight'  for which I know others struggle, becomes a part of the human psyche that evokes a certain level of compassion and understanding.

In the meantime, I am happy to check out one of these wonderful books to you for the next two weeks if you stop by and fill out an application.

Comments

Totally understand your process of release. For me it was like letting go of my step kids as they grew up but knowing the good they would be spreading. The books I gave away to a rehab organization would be providing good . Then I was excited about all the space I had created for new books... Experienced a deep breath of fresh air....like cleaning out my closet for more clothes😍😍😍😍
Carol said…
Manny has the same addition. I kind of understand but kind of don't understand. Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

"Ruby-throated sparrow ..."

Calling All Angels

Electionitis - 2016